If you ever end up needing a train ticket in case of an emergency, then IRCTC Next Generation Portal offers you a solution for that. In such a case, you can book a Tatkal ticket for yourself which will enable you to get the train ticket even a day before the date of journey. There are certain rules and regulations governing the Tatkal ticket and if you wish to book a Tatkal Ticket with IRCTC then you must go through this piece of information as we have listed the process and the booking tips for you.
Tatkal Ticket Booking Timings: The booking for Tatkal tickets start at 10:00 AM for the AC Class and the booking starts at 11:00 AM for the Non-AC Class. You can book the ticket till 12:00 Midnight but the quota for the tickets is exhausted quite quickly. Hence, as per our advice, you must be prepared before 10:00 for booking the ticket. Have money loaded up in your IRCTC wallet or have your credit card/debit card details with you. In addition to this, you can also save the contact cards in your IRCTC account so as to quickly enter the passenger details in the ticket. You can book tickets only a day in advance.
Tatkal Ticket Booking Chargers: The booking charges vary and the minimum booking charge you would have to pay for Non AC Class is Rs 10 and the maximum can go upto Rs 200. For the AC Class, you might have to pay anything between Rs 125 to Rs 500. If you wish to get exact details then you can also refer to the charges on the IRCTC Website or you can refer to the table below. Also, you need to understand that the charges are dependent on the distance of the journey.
|Travel Class||Minimum booking Charge||Maximum Booking Charge|
|Seating AC||Rs 125||Rs 225|
|Seating AC Executive||Rs 400||Rs 500|
|3 TierAC||Rs 300||Rs 400|
|2 TierAC||Rs 400||Rs 500‑|
|Seating Non AC||Rs 10||Rs 15|
|Sleeper Non AC||Rs 100||Rs 200|
Cancellation Charges: Now this has been changed. Earlier, you were able to get refunds for the cancellation of confirmed Tatkal Train Ticket but now, there is no refund for the cancellation of confirmed Tatkal ticket. You can still get the refund if the ticket is not confirmed.
Additional Info – Another thing that you must know is that you can’t book 1A class or First AC class under Tatkal Quota.
Booking Ticket in Tatkal Quota
- Visit the IRCTC Portal by clicking on irctc.co.in and click on the Login Button. Enter your Login ID and User Password to login to the portal. You can check the availability of tickets without logging in but you will have to login later.
- Now, enter the From and To station. Also enter the date of journey, classes and then click on Find train.
- The results will now be displayed. The option to change the quota is available on the top right corner and from this drop-down menu, select Tatkal.
- Now, find the train that you wish to book a ticket in and check the availability status of the train. Once that is done, click on the Book Now button.
- You will now be redirected to the next page where you can enter the passenger information. Proceed to the next page after entering the passenger details.
- Enter the payment details and make the payment using the required method. The ticket will be displayed on your screen after the payment has been confirmed.
This was all the information for booking a Tatkal Ticket and in case of any help, you can reach out to the railway helpline at 139. If your payment failed but if the payment has still been credited from your account then you must know that the payment will be reversed within 7 working days.